2:45 pm Dec. 18, 2012
Last year, Rep. Peter King urged an investigation into exactly how much access the producers of Zero Dark Thirty, a film about the killing of Osama bin Laden, were given to confidential information by the Central Intelligence Agency and the Department of Defense.
Today, according to a report, the Pentagon's inspector general referred one possible leak—the classified name of a Special Operations Command office who helped plan the raid—to the Department of Justice investigators.
“The news that the DoD Inspector General has referred an aspect of its investigation to DoJ for possible criminal prosecution is quite troubling," he said in a statement.
"This reported referral by the DoD Inspector General is an indication that our security and theirs was, indeed, placed at risk by people who wanted to help Hollywood make a movie," he added.
At the time of King's original request, there were political concerns among some Republicans that the film, which was slated for release during the election, might have been given special access to classified information in order to glorify President Obama's role in bin Laden's death.
As it turns out, the film's release date was pushed back until after the election, and Obama makes only a brief appearance. Most of the debate over the film has centered on whether it unduly glorifies torture.
King, who is finishing up his tenure as chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee and also serves on the House Intelligence Committee, made a point in today's statement of saying that "[o]ur national security and the personal security of Special Operators and the CIA Officers involved was, and remains, my only concern."
Asked about the report at his press briefing today, White House spokesman Jay Carney referred questions to the Department of Defense.
"I have seen those reports but I can only refer you to the Pentagon," he said.