5:00 pm May. 3, 2012
David Segal, the spokesman for Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez who was let go after being accused by the New York Post of being a "terrorist," was fired this afternoon, six hours after being re-hired by the councilman.
Segal, in a brief interview, told me he will speak out on Monday about the incident, and promised to reveal "a number of facts that haven't been brought to the public eye yet."
Segal was fired last week after the Post reported that he threw a burning rag into an army recruitment center in the Bronx in 2005, when Segal was 19.
Segal claimed that he had flagged the conviction on his application, though Rodriguez said he was unaware of the specifics of the incident.
He was re-hired this morning, reportedly after Rodriguez's office consulted with the counsel for Speaker Christine Quinn. Quinn's attorneys had questioned the legality of not hiring Segal, based on such a conviction, in the original Post story.
UPDATE: Rodgriguez called and told me: "My decision on terminating him [Segal] from being my spokesman was based on him betraying my trust by not telling me the circumstances of his arrest in 2005. ... Today I took a final decision based on how he betrayed my trust."
When I asked why he rehired Segal, Rodriguez declined to comment.