1:43 pm May. 3, 2012
David Segal, who was fired from his job as City Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez's spokesman after his seven-year-old conviction for trying to burn down an army recruiting center was made public, is back at work today, a knowledgable source confirmed to me.
A lawyer for the City Council initially said Segal couldn't be fired on the basis of the conviction. That's also what I heard last week from Glenn Martin, the head of public policy for the Fortune Society, who told me the dismissal might have been illegal.
UPDATE: When asked if Segal was on the Council payroll, a spokesman for Council Speaker Christine Quinn declined to say, and referred the question over to Rodriguez's office. A spokesperson for Rodriguez said "no comment."
UPDATE: Segal was subsequently re-fired.