12:54 pm Nov. 10, 2011
Herman Cain will be in New York City tomorrow for two fund-raisers, just four days after Sharon Bialek held a packed press conference at the Friars Club to accuse Cain of sexually harassing her 15 years ago.
Subsequent polls suggest that the string of allegations have yet to hurt Cain's standing among Republican primary voters and, according to one of the organizers of Cain's afternoon event tomorrow, they haven't had much of an impact on New York donors either.
"Things are looking very good," said the organizer, who said they expect over 100 people for lunch at the Russian Tea Room. "We haven't lost one person that I know about."
The lunch event is being co-hosted by a number of former bundlers for the short-lived presidential campaign of Tim Pawlenty—including Jonathan Burkan, Eric Anton and Ken Abramowitz—and carries a minimum donation of $500, with a V.I.P. event going for $999.
Later in the day, Cain will be at Club 101 for a $1,000-minimum event hosted by Ziad Abdelnour, which is expected to draw 50 to 60 people.
"We'll have 150 people total for both events and raise over $100,000, so it's definitely exceeded what we thought," said the organizer.
Cain's campaign has claimed it raised over $3 million in October, and an email to supporters this morning said Cain has raised $1.2 million since launching an "Iowa Fund" last week. (Those numbers can't be verified until January, when the next F.E.C. filing becomes public.)
Cain seems to be profiting from his position as the latest poll-leading alternative to Mitt Romney, who has locked up most of New York's donor establishment. Cain's supporters hope he might have cemented that role last night, after Texas Governor Rick Perry had his worst performance yet in a series of bad debate performances. Perry, who has an event planned in New York on November 18, had hoped to re-establish himself as the anti-Mitt, and peel away Cain's support.
"Now the Perry people have to make a decision, obviously, what they want to do, because he's finished," said the Cain organizer, who was already speculating about what a three-man race between Romney, Cain and Newt Gingrich might look like in the early primary states.
"I have to tell you, considering everything that's happened, we're very pleased," he said. "We're very pleased."