New York Times' Baquet has malignant tumor removed

emnew-york-timesem-baquet-has-malignant-tumor-removed
Dean Baquet. (AAP Photo/Bill Haber)
Tweet Share on Facebook Share on Tumblr Print

New York Times executive editor Dean Baquet had a malignant tumor on his kidney removed this weekend, he told staffers in a Monday morning email.

"I had minimally invasive, completely successful surgery on Saturday and my doctors have given me an excellent prognosis," he wrote.

The news of Baquet's illness comes promptly after a period of upheaval the the paper. Baquet, 57, took the top editorial position on the Times masthead only last month, after the surprise dismissal of Jill Abramson.

As managing editor, Baquet had been Abramson's second in command. He has yet to appoint his own.

MORE ON CAPITAL

ADVERTISEMENT

Baquet will be out of the newsroom for about a week, he said, during which time he vowed to stay in contact with its leadership "perhaps more than they like."

Read his full note to staff below.

To the Staff:

As some of you may have noticed, I've been out of the office for the past few days. On Thursday, doctors found a malignant tumor on my kidney that they felt required immediate attention. I had minimally invasive, completely successful surgery on Saturday and my doctors have given me an excellent prognosis. I will be out of the office for about a week while I mend.

I know this comes as we are all trying to move forward in the newsroom. During my absence, I will be in touch with the newsroom leadership - perhaps more than they like - and we will continue to push ahead with various initiatives.

One thing I know will not stall or even slow is our amazing news report. Just in the last few days, we have shown the tremendous power of our reporting as American politics and the Mideast were simultaneously upended and the World Cup matches began in Brazil. Every day's report makes me more honored to be part of the newsroom and I assure you that I will be back there as soon as possible.

Dean