Trump admits he is not running for governor
ALBANY—Donald Trump has formally called off his non-campaign against Governor Andrew Cuomo.
After several months of flirtation that created a rift in New York's G.O.P. and earned dozens of headlines for the brash real estate developer, Trump took to Twitter to formally put the kibosh on any gubernatorial run.
“While I won't be running for Governor of New York State, a race I would have won, I have much bigger plans in mind- stay tuned,” Trump said shortly before 6 p.m. Friday.
Trump hinted that he would exit the race after Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino formally declared he would challenge Cuomo earlier this month. Trump has long maintained that he would only run if he did not face a primary opponent.
Still, Trump went to suburban Syracuse this week for a Republican fund-raising dinner and suggested to local G.O.P. leaders that he was transferring the necessary funds, in order to enter the race after the next season of his reality TV show is filmed in April.
The decision was welcome news to Republicans, who face an uphill battle against Cuomo.
“We need to coalesce sooner rather than later. Dragging this process out doesn't benefit anybody,” said Manhattan Republican Chairman Dan Isaacs.